Серийный номер 9 и в целом довольно богатая история.
Описание с аукциона-
Estimate Price: $175,000 - $275,000
This Colt Model 1911 Special Army semi-automatic pistol was manufactured in 1910 for the Ordnance trials of the Colt and Savage automatic pistols conducted on March 15, 1911 at Springfield Armory. The Model 1911 Special Army incorporated improvements designed to address problems that surfaced in the Model 1910 Special Army during the November 1910 pistol trials conducted at Springfield Armory. The March 1911 pistol trials resulted in the selection of the Colt Model 1911 as the standard Army handgun. Colt assembled only fifteen Special Army pistols for the 1911 Springfield trials; Serial No. 1-6 were completed in February 1911 in time for the test. Serial No. 7-15 were completed following the trials. This pistol, Serial No. 9, was designated for presentation to the Secretary of War J. M. Dickinson, who signed the final approval of the pistol. On May 12, 1911 pistols 7, 8, and 9 were returned to Colt and fitted with modified hammers. Secretary of War Dickinson declined the new pistol. No reason for this decline is specified but the initial presentations are covered in detail on p. 114-115 of "U.S. Military Automatic Pistols 1894-1920" by Ellis/Meadows and on p. 115 of "The Government Models: The Development of the Colt Model of 1911" by Goddard. Special Army serial No. 9 was subsequently sold to Colt's New York Office Manager Albert Foster Jr., on July 14, 1911. This pistol has the Colt commercial blue finish on the slide and frame with niter blue rear sight, ejector, slide stop, safety lock, hammer, trigger, magazine catch lock and stock screws. The pistol serial number "9" is stamped: (1) on the left side of the frame in front of the slide stop hole, (2) on the inside of the slide in front of the barrel lug cuts and (3) on the matching serialized bottom of the barrel in front of the lug. An "N" is stamped on the rear face of the lug. The pistol is fitted with the Model 1911 short, wide spur hammer that was installed when the pistol was returned to Colt in May 1911. The slide stop and safety lock are hand knurled with bordered knurling. The recoil spring plug lacks the punched hole found on most Model 1911 pistols. The walnut stocks are checkered with small diamond escutcheons around the screws. The pistol has a Type I, blued, lanyard loop magazine with exposed base plate. The left side of the slide is roll-stamped with the two-line patent marking: "PATENTED/APR.20.1897.SEPT.9.1902.DEC.19.1