The T35 Side-Loading Garand
Утяну к себе пару картинок, что бы не потерять-
In 1951/52 Springfield Armory began experimenting with rechambering the M1 Garand in the new T65E3 (light rifle) cartridge. As part of these experiments several alternate feed and magazine systems were also tested. In order to rechamber a standard M1 in the new cartridge the barrel was replaced and a machined aluminum filler block was placed in the breech to compensate for the shorter length of the new cartridge.
Roy S. Sanford & Company of Oakville, Connecticut were contracted by the Springfield Armory to develop a 10-round integral side loading magazine for the M1 Garand chambered in the T65E3 round then under testing. The magazine was to be an integral precision made part of the rifle which could be reloaded using an inexpensive clip. Differing from the standard M1 the new system was to allow the topping off of the magazine.
The Sanford Integral Magazine was developed by Roy S. Sanford a prolific engineer who also patented a number of belt-feed systems. At least two testbed T35 Garands were adapted to fit the new side magazine. This saw a number of changes including the vertical alignment of the charging handle and the addition of a large hump on the fore stock to provide a place for the large magazine housing which jutted out of the rifle’s receiver (see image below).
И.т.д. по ссылке.